Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sad Greek myths

The other day T. was reading one of his sister's library books, a book of Greek myths for kids told in a comic-book kind of style. I didn't think much of it until I was putting him to bed that night and noticed he looked very sad.

Me: What's the matter?
T.: I'm just sad.
Me: Did something happen that made you sad?
T.: A story I read.
Me: What story?
T.: In the book of Greek myths.
Me: Which story was it?
T.: (Long pause) I don't know how to say the names.
Me: Can you tell me what happens in the story?
T.: I don't want to talk about it.

So the next morning I asked if he would mind showing me the story he meant. It was Orpheus and Eurydice -- definitely one of the sadder myths. I'll have to find some happier stories for him the next time we go to the library.

No comments: