Friday, June 12, 2009

Poetry 3

Hopkins (1844-1889) can be a hard poet to read because of the way he places his words, but fortunately that leads to slowing down, figuring out, and thinking about. I really like this poem of his. To me it seems to be about individual worth, and how we look on the outward appearance but the Lord looks on the heart.


THE LANTERN OUT OF DOORS
by Gerard Manley Hopkins

Sometimes a lantern moves along the night,
That interests our eyes. And who goes there?
I think; where from and bound, I wonder, where,
With, all down darkness wide, his wading light?

Men go by me whom either beauty bright
In mould or mind or what not else makes rare:
They rain against our much-thick and marsh air
Rich beams, till death or distance buys them quite.

Death or distance soon consumes them: wind
What most I may eye after, be in at the end
I cannot, and out of sight is out of mind.

Christ minds: Christ's interest, what to avow or amend
There, eyes them, heart wants, care haunts, foot follows kind,
Their ransom, their rescue, and first, fast, last friend.

No comments: