Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Daily necessities

I was reading a blog I like, Here in the Bonny Glen, and the author linked back to a post from 2006 about her "Rule of Six" -- that is, six things she tries to include in her family's lives each day:

-meaningful work
-imaginative play
-good books
-beauty (art, music, nature)
-ideas to ponder and discuss
-prayer

Then in the comments, someone mentioned this quote from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

I'm a list-loving person. I make plenty of to-do lists, goal lists, and priority lists, and my lists tend to be long and always getting longer. But a very short list, distilled down to the most important, most indispensable things that could enrich each day, would be interesting to think about and create. (Not to mention more memorable than a long list, and more doable on busy days!)

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Thanks for sharing this, Tamary! I think I don't do enough some days, and looking at that list, we do a lot of those daily. Whew!