Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Sunday


Last Sunday at church we had a musical program. It's become a tradition that on the Sunday before Christmas, the bishop asks several members of the congregation to speak briefly about a favorite Christmas song. After each speaker, the congregation sings the song the speaker chose. I love hearing the reasons people choose various songs, and I love the extra singing.

This year, instead of asking for Christmas songs specifically, the bishop just asked for songs about the Savior. We ended up with a great mix of hymns that expressed the speakers' love for Jesus Christ. It was a wonderful way to get our hearts ready for Christmas. Here are a few words from each of the songs.

Joy to the world, the Lord is come;
Let earth receive her King!

I believe in Christ; oh, blessed name!
As Mary's Son he came to reign
'Mid mortal men, his earthly kin,
To save them from the woes of sin.

I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.

He overcometh all.
He saveth from the Fall.
His might and power are great.
He all things did create.
And he shall reign forevermore.

And our eyes at last shall see him,
Through his own redeeming love;
For that child so dear and gentle
Is our Lord in heaven above.

The Lord is my light; the Lord is my strength.
I know in his might I'll conquer at length.
My weakness in mercy he covers with power,
And, walking by faith, I am blest every hour.

Silent night! Holy night!
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from thy holy face,
With the dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth;
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.


Have a joyful Christmas!

No comments: