Friday, May 2, 2008

Music I play

I love to sit down and play the piano. My favorite pieces are (1) pieces that are fun to play, even if I can't play it as fast as it's supposed to go, and even if I can't get every note right; and (2) pieces that have beautiful melody or harmony, even allowing for some mistakes.

Most of these are at an "advanced" level, meaning "past the end of the piano lesson books," but I certainly can't play all of them "well." That's my point -- they're still enjoyable at less than perfect quality. (I hope someday this list will include organ, cello, or other music, but right now I'm not frequently playing those other instruments.)

Piano pieces that are fun to play
Beethoven, Pathetique Sonata, 1st & 3rd movement
Beethoven, Moonlight Sonata, 3rd movement
Debussy, Masques
Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue
Moszkowski, Spanish Dances, duets for one piano, four hands
Lots of Jon Schmidt, especially Winter Wind, First Run, and Dumb Song
Almost everything by Leroy Anderson
Lots of Dave Brubeck, especially Far More Blue, Bluette, and King for a Day

Piano pieces that are beautiful (at least I think so, and it's my blog)
Debussy, Passepied
Brahms, Waltz (Op. 39 #9)
Scarlatti, Sonata in A Major (K.322)
Mendelssohn, Duetto (Op. 38 #6)
Jon Schmidt, Bedtime Story


(Updated 7/13/08)

No comments: