Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Come on Seabiscuit!


Come on Seabiscuit! by Ralph Moody, 2003 (orig. 1963), 172 pages
(6th grade up)

Reading two horse books in a row takes me back to pre-teen days when I read every Walter Farley book I could find. I picked up this one because I like the author. I'd heard of Seabiscuit because of the movie (which I haven't seen) but all I knew was that he was a racehorse. The true story is amazing. He was rescued from the poor treatment of his first years and trained carefully and lovingly. Despite injured legs that were a concern his whole life, he went on to become a champion. The author loves horses (it's obvious from his writing even if you haven't read his Little Britches series) and he really brings out all the emotions that go with this story.

No comments: